The BEA seeks to maximize the scholarly contributions and professional experiences of Black faculty, students, administrators, and staff. We:
- Monitor and serve as a resource for information on the status of African-derived persons on campus and in the community;
- Serve as an advocate for African-American students, faculty, staff, and administrators at VCU, and in higher education; assist in recruiting African-American faculty, staff, administrators, and students at VCU;
- Provide opportunities for professional development of African-American faculty and administrators;
- Facilitate Black faculty participation in decision making at the University;
- Develop and support programs relevant to the African-American experience in order to enhance cultural awareness within the University community;
- Bridge the gap between VCU and the African-American community; and
- Establish and maintain a communication network among African-American students, faculty, staff, and administrators.